The Playground of Hollywood

The Playground of Hollywood

Sunday, January 24, 2010

#3 of 2009...AVATAR

3. AVATAR (director: James Cameron)


It's hard to come up with anything new to say about Avatar, the brain-child of storyteller James Cameron. In what will eventually (and sooner before later) be the highest-grossing film of all time, Cameron emerges us into another world once again. A world of blue-skinned aliens, of giant trees, of deadly monsters, of flying soul-mate creatures, of islands floating in the sky, of literal connection with our natural surroundings. It doesn't hurt that the cast gives wonderful performances, even if it can be argued that it's "only motion capture". It's not, and that's what makes the story, and the emotions, so believeable. When I left my screening for this one, a studio rep asked me my thoughts...the best thing I could come up with is still the way I feel about it... "Epic...in every sense of the word. A true experience that rarely comes along, and one that will stand as a milestone in cinema history."

No comments:

Post a Comment