The Playground of Hollywood

The Playground of Hollywood

Sunday, January 24, 2010

#2 of 2009...(500) DAYS OF SUMMER

2. (500) DAYS OF SUMMER (director: Marc Webb)



Every year, there are films that I consider to be "best", and films that I consider to be "favorites" (i.e. Would want to watch over and over and over and over). Sometimes I find myself lucky enough to see a film that easily fits into both categories. This year, that film is (500) Days of Summer. It is perhaps the most wonderful, funny, brutually honest film about the ups and downs of relationships made in the past decade. All the creativity is boundless. It contains some of my favorites sequences of the year, including "the morning after musical number" and "the split-screen expectations/reality scene". The script takes some serious chances, and I think it happens to succeed with every one. The soundtrack is pitch-perfect, the screenplay IS the best original of the year, and the performances of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are nothing less than breaktakingly good. This is one of those "smaller" films that audiences need to discover, and I hope they do. For my money, it's my "favorite" film of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment