The Playground of Hollywood

The Playground of Hollywood

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Category Analysis - BEST ACTRESS

The nominees are:

Anne Hathaway "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie "Changeling"
Melissa Leo "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep "Doubt"
Kate Winslet "The Reader"

How I predicted: 3.5/5 (Missed Melissa Leo, and wrong Kate performance)

When it comes down to it, I really see this as a 3-horse race between Anne, Meryl, and Kate. And btw, I was extremely happy that this was the performance that got Kate the nomination. In Revolutionary Road, she's amazing. In The Reader, she's even better.
Melissa Leo and Angelina Jolie both got deserving nominations, but they feel like also-rans to me, and I would be SHOCKED if either of their names were called. Although if Melissa's is called, it will be one of the most deserving winners in recent history.
Meryl Streep...15 nominations in less than 30 years time. That...is...staggering. The woman can do no wrong in the Academy's eyes, and while I didn't particularly care for her performance here myself, if she wins I will not be even remotely surprised, particularly since her last win was for Sophie's Choice waaaaayyyy back in 1982!
However, after becoming the youngest person ever to reach 6 acting nominations, this finally SHOULD be the year that Kate Winslet becomes Academy Award winner Kate Winslet. By nominating her for the correct movie, she also has no worry of vote-splitting. Also, winning both a Golden Globe and a SAG award for this performance doesn't hurt.

My Prediction: KATE WINSLET "THE READER"

No comments:

Post a Comment